Recovery After a Tooth Extraction
The days following tooth extraction are not as horrible as you might imagine. Yes, there is going to be some pain, but with a few simple home remedies, you should be able to keep the pain minimized and be able to carry on with life as normal. The good news is that dental technology has changed so much that the procedure itself is virtually painless and the recovery is much easier than ever before.
Tooth extraction is a procedure we are well versed in, as we have performed the procedure countless times. Of course, we do what we can to save the tooth, but sometimes the tooth is beyond repair and it is better for your health if it is removed. Once the tooth is extracted, we will discuss replacement options for you to ensure that the shape of your mouth and the placement of your teeth do not shift as a result of the removal of the tooth.
During the first 24 hours after the procedure, it is highly recommended that you take it easy. This is a time to pamper yourself and just relax. The more you exert yourself, the higher the likelihood of you bleeding, swelling, and experiencing pain become. In addition to resting, the following steps should be taken:
– Leave the gauze that we placed at the site of the extraction in place. It can be tempting to remove it, but this is the best way to minimize the bleeding and encourage the area to clot, which will allow you to heal faster. If it becomes soaked, replace it with sterile gauze right away.
– Use a cold compress on the outside of the area if you have pain or swelling.
– Modify your diet for the next few days, consuming strictly soft or even liquid foods.
– Rinse your mouth after 24 hours has passed, but do so very gently.
– Make sure to keep up your regular oral hygiene, just being very careful in the area of the extraction.
If you are in pain, a pain killer may be prescribed or you may be encouraged to take over-the-counter ibuprofen. The key to minimal swelling, bleeding, and pain, however, is proper rest and care of the area. If you follow our instructions following the procedure, you will be back on your feet in no time and back to your regular schedule.